Thursday, December 12, 2013

Preparing for Eternal Relationships

So Rex and I happened to be in the same institute class which just happened to be on preparing oneself for an eternal relationship. This class really was such a gift to Rex and I. I feel like it helped lead us on our journey and gave us confirmation that we were doing the right things. Our relationship is growing everyday and to have the constant reminder of the church's view as well as our teacher, Brother Norton's view was on what a college date life should be like was extremely helpful. I enjoyed learning with Rex by my side and hearing his great insight! Rex is so smart! He is just a thinker and he really ponders about life, the gospel, and really what everything means to him. He personalizes everything to where he is at in that point in his life. Luckily I happen to be in his life and growing closer to him through our experiences with this class has been a delight! Sometimes Rex would have to work and I would head over after class to teach him what I learned that day. Sometimes the lesson was really an "awkward topic" and it would be hard for me to teach Rex about it because I didn't know my standpoint on the topic well enough myself. Rex would laugh and think I was cute, but really it was hard for me. This class had a focus on communication and how it is vital to making any relationship work. Lucky for me I'm a COMM major and love talking about the different ways men and women communicate as well as the theories behind those actions. From watching talks to reading from the scriptures to watching Andy Griffith, there was never a dull moment in this class. Looking back I see how it helped me grow and how it opened my viewpoint on marriage. To me, just graduating from high school and moving to college knowing no one was a huge step for me! I was just worried about finding friends, not finding someone to date! Haha. I guess the Lord had a different plan for me then I had for myself because he brought me to Rex and well Rex changed things. Things changed when Rex and I kissed. Things changed when I began to think seriously about dating Rex. Things changed when we decided we were officially dating. Dating was fun and I loved being around this wonderful man. Through this class as our relationship became more serious it helped me get to the point where I am comfortable with whatever the future holds. This is much different then the girl who came here kind of totally against early marriage especially after seeing her good friend sealed that summer. My mind has been opened and it is such a gift to me that I was able to learn from this class to really understand what lies ahead. This class was about teaching preparation and I, for one, feel prepared.

Prophet Thomas S. Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment